An introduction to the basics of microbial biofilms
Anthony van Leewenhoek described them, but it was a long time before we called them "biofilms".
NEW! Electronic copy of the CBE's "Essential biofilm concepts and phenomena" poster (PDF, 1.2 Mb)
This poster was created in recognition of the CBE's 20th Anniversary as an NSF Engineering Research Center. It provides a concise overview of 13 important fundamental biofilm concepts developed at the CBE. It also includes a list of Selected Publications references for further information about each of the concepts.
Learn more in BIOFILMS: The Hypertextbook
Biofilms: The Hypertextbook is a National Science Foundation-funded project (grant numbers 0089397 and 0618744) to create a comprehensive, high-quality, active-learning, web-based, dynamic teaching and learning resource for education in biofilms. The project involves researchers from the Center for Biofilm Engineering and the Department of Computer Science at Montana State University as well as numerous collaborators and evaluators from around the world.
Search CBE publications for more information
Learn about biofilm multicellular strategies for survival, below
1. Biofilm strategies: Waiting to grow
2. Biofilm strategies: Initial attachment
3. Biofilm strategies: Building communities
4. Biofilm strategies: Meeting antimicrobial challenges
5. Biofilm strategies: Gradients and niches
6. Biofilm strategies: Nutrient transport
7. Biofilm strategies: Detachment
8. Biofilm strategies: Signaling
9. Biofilm strategies: Differentiation