Center for Biofilm Engineering Lab Safety Information
New Students & Researchers—Start Here
Instructions: The following steps are for students and researchers who have been recently hired
by the CBE.
Step 1: Schedule a safety orientation tour with Kristen Brileya
Step 2: Register for training (Biosafety and Hazard Communication)
Review the complete CBE hiring checklist.
Cell Phone Policy: Personal mobile devices may only be used in the lab as needed for research-related communication, and then specific guidelines must be followed.
Request lab supplies from Quartzy
Sign up for instruments via Lab Agenda
Dispose of chemical waste
Autoclave training form
About the CBE facilities and instrumention
List of Instruments
Review the CBE's complete list of instruments
Lab Safety Binders
Each lab at the CBE should have a safety binder. What should be in your binder?
- Emergency contacts
- Lab Specific Biosafety manual. Includes a place for your lab SOPs and for members to sign off that they have been trained on these.
- Chemical Hygiene Plan
- Chemical SDS or a document stating where to find them (Kristen Brileya has a document)
- Chemical Inventory, updated annually
- Documentation of lab specific biosafety training
- Training certificates for Biosafety, Hazard Communication (Bloodborne Pathogens and Recombinant DNA when applicable)
- Freezer Biological Inventory
- Previous Lab Inspection Records (Self and by Biosafety Officer)
- Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Control Plan, if applicable
- Approved IBC protocols
MSU Safety Links
In case of an emergency, dial 9-1-1
CBE Technical Operations Manager
Office: EPS 367A
Office phone: (406) 994-6086
CBE Biosafety Officer
Office: EPS 322
Office phone: (406) 994-1814
University Biosafety Officer
Office phone: (406) 994-6821
Fire, Police, Ambulance 911
University Police (406) 994-2121
Facilities Services (406) 994-2107