Research Professor and Industrial Coordinator
Office: 308 Barnard Hall
Specialty: Biofilms in waste remediation and industrial systems
Ph.D. Environmental Engineering, Montana State University
Registered Professional Engineer, Montana, #10536PE
- Industrial Coordinator/Research Professor, Center for Biofilm Engineering, Bozeman, MT 2000-present
- Research Engineer, Center for Biofilm Engineering, Bozeman, MT 1991-1999
- Environmental Engineer, Matney-Frantz Engineering, Bozeman, MT 1990-1994
Areas of Expertise
- Assessment and growth potential of biofilms in industrial and potable water systems
- Biofilm growth in plumbing fixtures
- Development of testing protocols for assessing the efficacy antimicrobial products and surfaces
- Engineered systems for microbial process control
- Control of microbial souring of oil in pipelines and subsurface formations
- Biodegradation of organic chemicals in soil and groundwater
- Groundwater flow hydraulics and microbial transport in porous media
- Biobarrier construction for groundwater flow control and mitigation of acid rock drainage
- Design of field-scale biotreatment systems
- Communication of biotechnology research advances with industry and government
- Organization of bi-annual technical meetings for Engineering Research Center Industrial Associates
- Organization and presentation of biofilm analytical methods workshops for industry and academic researchers and strategic planning workshops for industrial partners
- Laura Kaatz Wahlen, Mark Pasmore, Diane Walker, Al Parker, Paul Sturman “Predictive modeling for hot water inactivation of planktonic and biofilm-associated Sphingomonas parapaucimobilis to support hot water sanitization programs,” Biofouling, 2016 Aug; 32(7):751-61.
- Sturman, PJ “Biofilm Control in Industrial Water Systems,” In: Biofilm Control in Drug Manufacturing, Ed: Clontz L and Wagner C. PDA DHI Technical Books. October 2012.
- Sturman, PJ, Stein OR, Vymazal J, Kröpfelová L “Sulfur Cycling in Sub-Surface Constructed Wetlands,” In: Wastewater Treatment, Plant Dynamics and Management in Constructed and Natural Wetlands, 2008 Ed: Vymazal J, pp. 329–344. Springer, Dordrecht.
- Kjellerup BV, Veeh RH, Sumithraratne P, Thomsen TR, Buckingham-Meyer K, Frolund B, Sturman PJ “Monitoring of Microbial Souring in Chemically Treated Produced Water Biofilm Systems Using Molecular Techniques,” J Indus Microbiol and Biotechnol 2005; 32(4): 163–170.
- Sturman, PJ, Saxena I “Development and Testing of a Fiber-Optic Probe for Biofilm Detection and Quantification,” In: Proceedings: International Conference on Biofilm Monitoring, Porto, Portugal. March 2002.
Additional biofilm related publications searchable via CBE Publications
- “Engineering Aspects of Biofilm Growth and Response to Antimicrobial Treatment,” Parenteral Drug Association Biofilm and Bioburden Workshop, San Antonio, TX, April 8–10, 2014.
- “Standard Methods for Biofilm Testing: Progress and Future Directions,” FDA/CBE Co-sponsored meeting: Biofilms, Medical Devices and Anti-Biofilm Technology: Challenges and Opportunities, Silver Spring, MD, February 20, 2014.
- “Biofilm Growth and Disinfection in Water Systems,” American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy Hot Water Forum, Atlanta, GA, November 3–5, 2013.
- “Legionella Growth and Survival in Biofilms: Laboratory models and the environment,” Society for Industrial Microbiology Conf. on Recent Advances in Microbial Control, Arlington, VA, Oct. 29, 2012.
- “Visualizing Antimicrobial Action in Biofilms,” Society for Industrial Microbiology Conference on Recent Advances in Microbial Control, Arlington, VA, November 7–10, 2010.
- “Biofilm Growth Models and Standardization,” FDA Seminar on Biofilms in Medicine, Rockville, MD, April 6, 2010.
- Standardized Biofilm Methods Lab
- 10mg.L HOCL 9.20.06 - movie.AVI
- 50MG.L HOCL movie.AVI
- GLUT 4.19.06 - movie.AVI
- NISIN movie.AVI
- CAM staining movie.AVI
- Cam Movie Slides.ppt
“MSU hosts fifth annual conference to help move life-saving products to the marketplace” MSU News Service February 15, 2018