Research Professor and Industrial Coordinator
Office: 308 Barnard Hall
Specialty: Biofilms in waste remediation and industrial systems
Ph.D. Environmental Engineering, Montana State University
Registered Professional Engineer, Montana, #10536PE
- Industrial Coordinator/Research Professor, Center for Biofilm Engineering, Bozeman, MT 2000-present
- Research Engineer, Center for Biofilm Engineering, Bozeman, MT 1991-1999
- Environmental Engineer, Matney-Frantz Engineering, Bozeman, MT 1990-1994
Areas of Expertise
- Assessment and growth potential of biofilms in industrial and potable water systems
- Biofilm growth in plumbing fixtures
- Development of testing protocols for assessing the efficacy antimicrobial products and surfaces
- Engineered systems for microbial process control
- Control of microbial souring of oil in pipelines and subsurface formations
- Biodegradation of organic chemicals in soil and groundwater
- Groundwater flow hydraulics and microbial transport in porous media
- Biobarrier construction for groundwater flow control and mitigation of acid rock drainage
- Design of field-scale biotreatment systems
- Communication of biotechnology research advances with industry and government
- Organization of bi-annual technical meetings for Engineering Research Center Industrial Associates
- Organization and presentation of biofilm analytical methods workshops for industry and academic researchers and strategic planning workshops for industrial partners
- Laura Kaatz Wahlen, Mark Pasmore, Diane Walker, Al Parker, Paul Sturman “Predictive modeling for hot water inactivation of planktonic and biofilm-associated Sphingomonas parapaucimobilis to support hot water sanitization programs,” Biofouling, 2016 Aug; 32(7):751-61.
- Sturman, PJ “Biofilm Control in Industrial Water Systems,” In: Biofilm Control in Drug Manufacturing, Ed: Clontz L and Wagner C. PDA DHI Technical Books. October 2012.
- Sturman, PJ, Stein OR, Vymazal J, Kröpfelová L “Sulfur Cycling in Sub-Surface Constructed Wetlands,” In: Wastewater Treatment, Plant Dynamics and Management in Constructed and Natural Wetlands, 2008 Ed: Vymazal J, pp. 329–344. Springer, Dordrecht.
- Kjellerup BV, Veeh RH, Sumithraratne P, Thomsen TR, Buckingham-Meyer K, Frolund B, Sturman PJ “Monitoring of Microbial Souring in Chemically Treated Produced Water Biofilm Systems Using Molecular Techniques,” J Indus Microbiol and Biotechnol 2005; 32(4): 163–170.
- Sturman, PJ, Saxena I “Development and Testing of a Fiber-Optic Probe for Biofilm Detection and Quantification,” In: Proceedings: International Conference on Biofilm Monitoring, Porto, Portugal. March 2002.
Additional biofilm related publications searchable via CBE Publications
- “Engineering Aspects of Biofilm Growth and Response to Antimicrobial Treatment,” Parenteral Drug Association Biofilm and Bioburden Workshop, San Antonio, TX, April 8–10, 2014.
- “Standard Methods for Biofilm Testing: Progress and Future Directions,” FDA/CBE Co-sponsored meeting: Biofilms, Medical Devices and Anti-Biofilm Technology: Challenges and Opportunities, Silver Spring, MD, February 20, 2014.
- “Biofilm Growth and Disinfection in Water Systems,” American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy Hot Water Forum, Atlanta, GA, November 3–5, 2013.
- “Legionella Growth and Survival in Biofilms: Laboratory models and the environment,” Society for Industrial Microbiology Conf. on Recent Advances in Microbial Control, Arlington, VA, Oct. 29, 2012.
- “Visualizing Antimicrobial Action in Biofilms,” Society for Industrial Microbiology Conference on Recent Advances in Microbial Control, Arlington, VA, November 7–10, 2010.
- “Biofilm Growth Models and Standardization,” FDA Seminar on Biofilms in Medicine, Rockville, MD, April 6, 2010.
- Standardized Biofilm Methods Lab
- 10mg.L HOCL 9.20.06 - movie.AVI
- 50MG.L HOCL movie.AVI
- GLUT 4.19.06 - movie.AVI
- NISIN movie.AVI
- CAM staining movie.AVI
- Cam Movie Slides.ppt
- “CBE documentary addresses real-world problems of biofilms”
- Slideshow: CBE rearch and industry activity
“NASA seeks ideas for biofilm problem from CBE and industry” CBE News, August 2, 2019
“STERIS earns first biofilm claim from EPA using testing standard developed by CBE” MSU News, May 20, 2019
“MSU hosts fifth annual conference to help move life-saving products to the marketplace” MSU News Service February 15, 2018